NVQ Level 2 – BARBERING INTERMEDIATE APPRENTICESHIP
Employment Rights, Responsibilities, Functional Skills, Personal Learning & Thinking Skills
Newly employed trainee hairdressers wishing to achieve a recognised qualification in barbering. This qualification provides the first step to a barbering career.
Learners will have the advantage of learning and working in a real salon environment and will be eligible for a training rate of pay from their employer.
Employers will have their trainees where they need them – in the salon and can choose whether to train the learners (subject to suitable qualifications and/or experience) or release them for training. They have the opportunity to deliver the quality and type of skills their salon requires in the order they prefer.
|Work Based Learners:||Where practical is delivered in the salons – learners will attend the GeTaHead centre just for their theory once a month.|
|Day Release Learners:||Attend a GeTaHead Training Centre for practical one evening a week and theory will be delivered once a month (daytime).|
This course is designed for trainees with:
- Over 30 hours of weekly employment in a salon (including training)
- Employer commitment to sign a training agreement, deliver a structured practical training barbering programme for a minimum of 2 hours per week or release the trainee for the weekly 2 hours of practical training
- Employer commitment to release the learner monthly for the theory aspects of the programme (or more frequently if an individual need is identified) .
- Entry 3 or above obtained in English and Maths initial assessment tests.
- Commitment to purchase necessary tools, equipment and learning materials.
- Commitment to complete private study of 2 – 4 hours in their own time.
Learners will acquire the knowledge and understanding of the following units:
- 205 Advise and consult with clients -8 Credits
- 206 Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp -5 Credits
- 207 Develop and maintain effectiveness at work -3 Credits
- 214 Cut men’s hair using basic techniques -12 Credits
- 215 Cut facial hair using basic techniques -5 Credits
- 216 Dry and finish men’s hair -5 Credits
- 217 Create basic outlines and detailing in hair -6 Credits
and at least 9 credits from the following units
- 209 Perm and neutralise -10 Credits
- 219 Colour and lighten men’s hair -14 Credits
- 210 Plait and twist hair -5 Credits
- 13 Reception -6 Credits
Location of Training:
- Theory will be delivered in the GeTaHead Training Centre at Retford.
- Practical training will be delivered in the learner’s own salon by the salon or at the GeTaHead Centre at Retford in an evening 6.00 – 8.00pm
- Practical and oral assessment delivered in the learner’s own salon (if the salon has a barbering qualified work based assessor) or at a GeTaHead Centre.
Duration of Course:
- 12 – 24 months (dependent on the individual programme, accredited prior learning and initial assessment).
- One evening for induction at a GeTaHead Training Centre.
- Monthly attendance at a training centre of your choice for theory (2 – 5 hours dependent on prior learning).
- Monthly salon visits by a GeTaHead Trainer (if a qualified work-based assessor is employed in the salon or you attend practical at a GeTaHead Centre).
- Cost of equipment, stationery, textbook, training head, clamp, clippers etc. is approximately £100.00 in total. You need to check if your employer will fund this.
- All course registration and certification costs are covered by GeTaHead Training.
- The course is Government funded so there is no charge. 16 – 18 year olds are automatically funded. 19+ learners are advised to check with GeTaHead to ensure that funding is available.
- City and Guilds
Where can I go from here?
This course will prepare you to progress to the level 3 in Barbering, (Advanced Apprenticeship). It will enable you to become junior barber status in a salon or move into
many more careers see : http://www.habia.org/uploads/student_handbook.pdf