HAIRDRESSING PROFESSIONAL APPRENTICESHIP
Level 2 Diploma for Hair Professionals, Assessment of Behaviours, Values, Communications and Professionalism
Newly employed trainee hairdressers wishing to achieve a recognised qualification in hairdressing. This qualification provides the first step to a hairdressing career.
Learners will have the advantage of learning and working in a real hairdressing environment and will be eligible for a training rate of pay from their employer – currently £3.50 per hour.
Employers will have their trainees where they need them – in the salon and can choose whether to train the learners or release them for training. They have the opportunity to deliver the quality and type of skills their salon requires in the order they prefer.
Work Based Learners: Attend the GeTaHead centre just for their theory once a month. All the practical training is delivered in the work place.
Day Release Learners: Attend a GeTaHead Training Centre for practical & theory one day a week.
Supported Day Release Learners: Attend a GeTaHead Training Centre for practical and theory every fortnight or month. Some practical is delivered by GeTaHead & other areas are delivered by the salon. The frequency is agreed between the salon and GeTaHead.
This course is designed for all newly employed hairdressing trainees with:
- 30+ hours of weekly work (including training). Special cases may apply for less hours, (however this will result in a longer course length).
- An employer willing to sign a training agreement, which agrees to release the learner for training, or deliver an appropriate in house training programme.
- Entry 3 or above obtained on English and Maths initial assessment tests.
- Commitment to purchase necessary tools, equipment and learning materials.
- Commitment to complete private study of 2 – 4 hours in learner’s own time.
- Eligibility for funding confirmed during interview.
Learners will acquire the knowledge and understanding of the following:
Professionalism, values, behaviours and communication and the following units….
- 201 Consultation
- 202 Shampoo, Condition and Treat the hair and Scalp
- 203 Cut Hair using a Range of Techniques to create a Variety of Looks
- 204 Style and Finish Hair using Range of Techniques to create a Variety of Looks
- 205 Colour and lighten hair using Range of Techniques
- 206 Perming Hair
Assessment may be in the salon or at training centre and will include:
- Observation of practical skills
- Oral questioning
- Online or written tests
- A portfolio of evidence as required by the awarding body
- Tests and observations for the Functional Skills programme (dependent on prior qualifications).
Location of Training:
- Theory will be delivered in a GeTaHead Training Centre either at Retford (unless an alternative delivery has been agreed with the salon).
- Practical training will be delivered in the learner’s own salon by the salon or at GeTaHead Centre at Worksop and Retford.
- Practical Assessment will be delivered at a GeTaHead Centre or the learner’s own salon (by GeTaHead Training, unless the salon has a qualified work based assessor).
Duration of Course:
- Approximately 24 months (dependent on individual programme and initial assessment).
- Half a day for initial assessment at a GeTaHead Training Centre.
- One day for induction at a GeTaHead Training Centre.
- Weekly training one day a week either at a training centre or in the salon.
- Fortnightly or Monthly salon visits by a GeTaHead Trainer (dependent on delivery model chosen by the employer).
- Cost of equipment, uniform, stationery, textbook, training head, clamp etc. is approximately £100.00 in total. You need to check if your employer will fund this.
- All course registration and certification costs are covered by GeTaHead Training.
- The course is Government funded so there is no charge, but learners over the age of 19 are advised to check with GeTaHead as they will need to have an employer who will fund 10% of the programme cost.
- City and Guilds
Where can I go from here?
This course will provide you with the skills and knowledge to become a competent hairdresser. At the end of the course you will have the option of moving onto a Level 3 Senior Hair Professional Course. It is a great starting point for many careers around the hair and beauty industries including, a salon stylist, a manager, self employment or even an employer; alternatively you could choose to be hairdressing on a cruise ship, in the photographic, fashion, film or TV industries, or even as a hair platform artist, trade sales, technical representative, or teacher the choice is yours! If you want any further information on careers please ask one of the members of staff.